Sunday, December 04, 2005

Flying in Style-Economy-To the Motherland

I was heading to Accra, Ghana. Of course, I was excited to take the trip. It was, after all, my first to Africa. But it was also my first flight on the German airline Lufthansa. Sure, I had flown foreign carriers before, but not many--Air Jamaica numerous times, ditto for Air Canada. Mostly, however, I have always booked on U.S. airlines, so I was curious to see the difference. Would it be like Air Jamaica’s champagne flights? Would the landings be as smooth as I always found Air Jamaica's, where I never know we have hit ground until I hear the other passengers clapping?
The first thing I notice even before boarding was that as you enter the jetway, they had a table stacked with newspapers and current business magazines to select from. I took the two English papers—The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal--they had--all else was German. After I get seated I set to toss the blanket and pillow aside as I usually do. But this pillow was different—it was super soft. On further inspection, it was a feather pillow—and it looked super clean. This time I will use, I thought.
Right after takeoff, they bring out the cocktail cart. Free, I am told. Free! I have a white wine, then another. Then was a snack, a nut mix. Then another round of cocktails; this time I tasted the red. The white was nicer.
Finally, the movie began. After the drinks, anything looked worth watching—even Fever Pitch with Drew Barrymore--especially since the earphones were also free. Soon, dinner was served. I had beef stroganoff--and it a good! And it was served with real silverware, knife included, and a cloth napkin. (Even the plastic ware they handed out for coffee later was stylish; it was mustard colored, thick and looked like it was designed by Georg Jensen.) Then came after-dinner drinks--I had Baileys. Then came the coffee cart. After drifting in and out of sleep, catching a few glimpses on the non-funny-romantic comedy—I was more than satisfied. But there was still more. Before we land, they bring out a light—a small sandwich—snack.
We land in Munich for a short—an hour and a half--layover. In the waiting area, they have free tea—a really good quality brand and unique flavors (such as Vitamin Blast with vitamin C and Ginseng)—and coffee. There is also a rack of free newspapers. I take USA Today and look at the pictures in the German newspapers. I also grab a couple of the papers from Britain.
Back on the plane for a quick hop to Frankfurt, where I had a much longer layover before my final leg to Accra. I was not as impressed with the Frankfurt airport. While larger than the Munich one, it was noisier, dirtier (no one seemed to clean as there were beer and soda cans everywhere), and more smokers (you can smoke inside the airports, but only around these filter machines. You still smell it though). But after a few hours it was back on the plane to Africa. And, of course, the food and drink parade started all over again. Another movie too, though I can’t remember because I fell asleep. Before dozing off, if this was economy class, I wonder what they got in first class. Compared to my last domestic U.S. flight, from New York to Vegas, this was a delight.
First off, on the American carrier (who will go nameless) you had to pay for the earphones –and lunch. They served great Wolfgang Puck lunches, but you had to fork over cash (and we ain’t talking about a McDonald’s type money). And, they didn’t give out any snack much less a choice of a free, non-Wolfgang meal. Prior to that, on a flight from Arizona to New York I took, passengers had to pick up snack bags (literally a brown bag with fruit, yogurt and cheese) out of a cart before boarding. I cannot imagine an American carrier feeding its passengers as much as I had on Lufthansa—I must have gained a pound or two just sitting there. Well, I will have to work it off in Accra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home