Friday, December 23, 2005

A Jelly Belly Time In Cali

I don't have kids, but I immediately became one again when I went on a 40-minute tour of the Jelly Belly Candy Factory (www.jellybelly.com) in Fairfield, California (near San Francisco). I must admit I didn't know the difference between a jelly bean and a jelly belly--until I went inside. Scents of chocolate, cinnamon, and sugar hit you immediately as you enter the sweet smelling building. Jelly Bellys actually started in 1976, in L.A. by a candy distributor who wanted to make jelly beans with natural flavorings.The first eight Jelly Belly flavors were: Very Cherry, Lemon, Cream Soda, Tangerine, Green Apple, Root Beer, Grape and Licorice. Turns out Ronald Reagan—whose portrait is done here in Jelly Bellys along with Queen Elizabeth, Laurel & Hardy and Ben Franklin—was a JB fanatic. On the tour, I viewed workers cooking up to sugary treats—some 50-plus flavors, including some that didn’t sound so tasty.

Apparently it takes more than a week to make a single bean because of all the different varieties. In all they churn out 1.25 million a day. The beans get steam baths, sugar showers and end up in the "engrossing pan," where they are doused with four flavored syrupand sugar coats. Then they are they're polished and printed with the Jelly Belly logo. The Jelly Belly folks also make taffy (which is pulled and pulled until it is a large wad before it is cut into small pieces), chocolates, and gummi candies. After the tour, I headed to the sampling bar to taste test. After around of specialty flavors: Buttered Popcorn (the favorite in theU.S.), Watermelon, Juicy Pear, A&W Root Beer, Jalapeno, and Banana Pudding. I tried some of the “recipes.” If you combine Cappuccino, A&W Cream Soda and Chocolate Pudding you get Tiramisu. Eat Mango, Lemon Lime and Jalapeno together and you get Mango tango Salsa. They also have Belly Flops, imperfect candies sold at a discount. I ate so many Jelly Bellys I didn’t have room for lunch in the Jelly Belly Cafe where they serve up Jelly Belly-shaped pizza and hamburgers. Well, maybe next time—after I get over my sugar shock.

Travel Tips...St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands's Divi Carina Bay Resort & Casino (877-773-9700, 340-773-9700, or visit www.divicarina.com), one of the destination's top resorts, has fifty new guestrooms and an on-site spa offering various treatments. The fifty guestrooms all feature oceanfront views...Thinking of checking out St. Kitts? Check out its new official website first. The St. Kitts Tourism Authority announced on Friday that it has officially launched its new website (www.stkittstourism.kn). It''l help you find places to stay, eat, things to do as well as other information...Anguilla's Food and Wine Lovers Getaway, Jan. 3-March 31, might be just the ticket. $4,930-$6,505 per couple cost includes: depending on accommodations and includes beachfront accommodations for two; wine and hors d’oeuvres on arrival; two gala celebrated chef’s dinners for two; two dinners for two at Cap Juluca’s George’s, Pimms or Kemia restaurants or from room service; half-day snorkeling trip to Little Bay Marine Preserve, including beverages; one group Tai Chi class for two; a gift bottle of wine. Contact: 1-888-858-5822 or visit www.capjuluca.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger rcairo said...

I have heard that, during the second half of his presidency, Ronald Reagan was actually made of jelly beans.

Wed Mar 15, 09:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home